October 14, 2009

Teeveeeeeeeee \o\

MY TV WORKS AGAIN. A week after Typhoon Melor plowed through the country's power grid like Godzilla without his morning coffee, I can watch my local stations static-free and see the Friday night Engrish movies again!

Obviously this is the post-storm recovery item of chief importance in my town. Which is kind of remarkable, considering that THIS is the view of typhoon #18
as it made landfall directly above my peninsula:
See that faint white outline underneath all the angry sky? That is Japan. See the wee-tiny dot in the middle of the red-zone? That's me hiding out in my front entrance because it's the only spot without the potential for susploding glass flying everywhere. Fun times and great sound effects.

Actually there was a point of damage that matters a lot more to me than the little picture box I use maybe 4 hours a week at most - the shortcut from behind my apartment building to school that winds through a little forested hillside.This is what it used to look like ( ; _ ; )


The before and after shots here don't even begin to convey the swath of destruction back there. It's very sad that I no longer have a plan-B for when I sleep in past 7:30 or forget a bunch of stuff and don't make it out the door until 8:15, but I'm thankful it all went down into the ravine and not onto any of the houses surrounding this hill on three sides. Who knows, with pretty much no property damage, maybe the city or whoever oversees the land back there will get somebody to clear off the old road. It'd be a shame if whoever gets my job next year won't be able to enjoy the sights and smells of the woods and 10 minutes shaved off their walk to work.

4 comments:

Fragile Porpoise said...

I would totally just climb over the trees and stuff rather than give up that little path. It looks lovely.
Glad you and your TV are ok.
<3

Nikki said...

Time was when I would do that, too... in fact I still probably will. But when I made a move to do so the morning after the typhoon, I got to thinking about all those trees that had been tumbled about but NOT fallen down, just leaning precariously against their neighbors, waiting for a stray breeze or the hand of fate to come crashing onto my head.

Think I'll save the exploring until after the next windy day takes care of the majority of those.

Fragile Porpoise said...

I have a helmet. An actual, real helmet, not the one I made out of cardboard and masking tape.
I'll go in before you!
And away!

Fragile Porpoise said...

Ok, I just have to point out the word verification right at this moment is 'tards.'
Blogger is so un-PC.