October 7, 2009

Typhoooooooon /o/

Despite the season's 18th typhoon having been downgraded from a Category 1 (of the sort that blew directly through my city last year) to a Tropical Storm, it looks like it's gonna pack quite a punch.

This "storm" has a diameter well over half the length of the Japanese archipelago. It is literally covering a good 60 - 70% of the islands right now.

From the warnings scrolling across the top of my wee-tiny TV screen, I have gathered that my prefecture will have the special privilege of receiving 60 cm of rain (that's a good two feet, Americans). The second-highest number I saw throughout the entirety of the warnings was 20 cm, so we are clearly #1. Go us! On top of that, our coastline (and technically I am in a coastal town, even though I am surrounded on all sides by mountains; there is an ocean inlet that runs almost up to the train tracks a mere mile or so from my apartment) can expect 9-meter waves.

Last year my biggest concern was wind blowing out my big glass patio sliding doors. This year the hubbub around here is obviously the water levels, but given that I'm on the second floor I'm not TOO too worried. Talk about the office has it that we're definitely-maybe showing up for work tomorrow (please see Japanese Work Ethic), the only question is whether or not the students get sent home early.

3 comments:

Fragile Porpoise said...

Seriously, every time I wander into your blog I become totally jealous of your life. I want to experience a typhoon! Maybe not so much as I have experienced flooding and that was total crap but living on a second floor would make it super fun times galore!
Woooooooooot!

Hope you are well. Love from the 'Merica land.

Nikki said...

Well, I shall shortly update with a picture of said typhoon, so that you may better imagine its fury and epic-ness c: Mayhaps some day, when Japan actually gets over itself and opens up to foreign labor in areas OTHER than dancing cymbal-bashing Engrish-teacher monkeys like myself, you coulds procure employment here and live the dream! The dollar will probably still be having its ass handed to it by the yens, so there's another plus.

I is keeping well. Hearts from teh futurz <333

Fragile Porpoise said...

I can teach English. I can talk it mega good!