October 25, 2009

i do things sometimes

One week until my first evar for-srs-you-gaiz art exhibit aaaaaaaaahhhhhh @.@

Should I wear the necktie-skirt what I made? I am thinking yes. OH HEY here it is.

It only took me....I don't even know how long, between collecting just the right vintage / novelty / amazing ties and I was a little lazy with piecing it together. Nevertheless, I have a skirt made of ties now c: huzzah

The other thing I am doing is kind of a zen-thing, in that I am doing by not doing. The thing I'm not doing is spending lots of monies, because the thing I'm trying to do is save a bunch of monies for a service trip in March. When the cost estimate came, I kind of stopped breathing for a minute, but it is still totally doable since I got half a year's notice. (Good gods, when did "half a year" become such a small and trifling thing? That ain't right.)

I've stashed away (i.e. left in my bank account in Japants) a good 72,000 yens thus far, and if I keep aiming for 40,000 yens per month --- that's in addition to my monthly minimum savings goal so that I can have a life after I leave here --- it should cover the service trip with a little bit left over. Which would mean I could stay a little longer to travel around after the official build-a-house, hug-a-kid business is done.

This is definitely doable, I have saved 180,000 yens in a single month before. Maybe not during the winter, because heating bills add up, but if I limit my splurges at foreign food stores, take short showers (HA. No really.), stop the snackyfoods from adding up, and don't buy that emerald green PSP I have been wanting so badly, I should be able to pull it off and probably drop a few pounds in the process. Since I won't be munching on fancy Swiss chocolates or making Betty Crocker fudge brownies anymore. And exercising to keep warm in my drafty apartment.

There is no way I am skimping on the whole foods, though, because I have tried that once before and it just isn't worth the paltry amount of cash I save to feed myself ramen and insta-dinners until I am literally sick from the lack of proper nutrition. Also I just like cooking too much. Japan is no different from other "developed" nations, where the stuff that is worst for you is the cheapest stuff on the grocery store shelves, but there are ways to save money AND eat healthily here as well, if you only pay attention to restocking schedules and keep an eye on the reject-vegetable-bins (I LOVE those ♥ absolutely nothing wrong with most of them other than they are not pretty enough to warrant full price)

3 comments:

Fragile Porpoise said...

That's a lovely skirt. I wish I knew how to make one. My friend Lex has one, too.

Drop a few pounds? But you are virtually nonexistent as is!
Good luck with the saving. :3

Nikki said...

why fank you <3 It is actually probably the least cost-effective crafts project ever XD Ties are 'spensive... and it ain't all that hard, neither. Find ye some ties, sew 'em together, put a zipper in the last seam and bam. It does tend to make your eyes go screwy, tho.

Eh I guess I should have said "add muscle" rather than drop stuff XP It is an established fact that my booty is here to stay.
Thankee, I'ma workin' hard at it :3

Darragh said...

Ooh nifty! I tried making a tie skirt once but i got all the ties off a dead guy's estate auction so they smelled like old man and were generally geriatric in theme.

Perchance shoot me an email about saving money AND eating well because I'm on the "no money for food" diet and its starting to take its toll (I wish I was kidding). Also you'd think the pounds would melt right off, but SUCH IS NOT THE CASE. Argh! PS. Doing Nano this year?