November 5, 2008

Zombies for Obama

As proud "Obambies" Nicole and I were savaging any and all American JETs we met at the Halloween party in Matsusaka who hadn't sent in their absentee ballots. This is what the slackers had to face up to:Incidentally, that is also exactly what I looked like while teaching classes on Friday. And riding the bus to Minami-ise in the morning on my way to teach classes. And walking to the bus station from my apartment. I made a couple middle-school kids run screaming down the sidewalk, and one of my senior boys shriek like a little girl. It was a good day.

Today was also a good day. I spent most of it writing while sitting at my desk, and obsessive-compulsively checking cnn.com (remember, I am 14 hours ahead of the East Coast. The polls had only just opened in the States by the time I was done with dinner last night) The verdict finally came in just before I taught my only class today, the last class of the day. I felt a hell of a lot better about my nationality as I walked into that room than I had when I walked into work this morning. Today is the first day in I-don't-know-how-many years that I've actually felt proud of my country.

1 comment:

Fragile Porpoise said...

You are so totally my hero. Obambies should also be a cereal brand and every box should come with a prize - like a rad new president! Oh snap! :'D