November 7, 2008

Personal Day

Although work hasn't been particularly hectic this week, we're getting into that home-stretch before final exams begin Dec. 4th, and it's just starting to drag. I've been feeling real tired this week, yet somehow pressed for relaxation time at night despite the fact that I've been staying in.

So I invoked a well-loved American cultural practice and called in sick today. My one afternoon class had been canceled, so I didn't inconvenience anybody by making them switch the schedule around last-minute. I needed a mental health day. One day where I didn't have to be awake and functioning before 10 am and fry my brain over language barriers, cultural exchange, grammar lessons, or financial matters (although I do plan on getting in touch with an America-based company tonight about setting up a remittance account, so I can send money home WITHOUT paying the $20 fee charged for every transfer by the company I currently have an account with)

Speaking of money, apparently the yen now grows on trees. In such abundance, in fact, that the government is planning on giving me a big sack full of it. That's right, me. According to the news tonight, the ruling party is actually considering drafting measures to include foreign residents in the hand-out bonanza. I'm certainly not hurting for monies, especially considering I'm a teacher, but hoo-damn would I like to get a 12,000 yen cash present from the gub'ment!

Anyway, I had a good stress-purging day; sunny & breezy & warmer than it has been, curry in the fridge ready to get warmed up for dinner, and a couple books to work on, one in the figurative and one in the literal sense - Mom convinced me to do National Novel Writing Month this year, and I've also started crafting a book using supplies I got from this super-nifty book/paper artist's dream-store. I don't think the writing will continue to be stress-reductive, though, once the 15th rolls around and I'll have to somehow pull my word count up to 25,000 if I want to keep on track. But that's not a concern tonight. Tonight I want some of my dark chocolate bar, my electric rug plugged in so my floor-pillows are nice and toasty, and a semi-decent Friday night movie on one of my four TV channels.

5 comments:

Fragile Porpoise said...

Oh, I sure hope you get the monies. Sounds like a lovely little present and you can use it to buy awesome things to keep you happy, like more panda memorabilia.
Good luck with the writing, I have another friend who's participating this year. I could never handle the pressure to write something (with any semblance of a plot) and have it done by a certain time. Rock on.
Thanks for the paper-shop link, looks useful. :3

I hope you feel better and much love to ya'.

Darragh said...

oo, are you writing your nanowrimo novel on the super nifty paper?

they should make a nanowrimo for sketchins. like FanArt100 in a month or something. Agree? yeah, i'm pretty much a genius

Nikki said...

A: I does feel better, fanks. I'm still a terrible procrastinator and am woefully behind on wordcount, but I no longer feel shizzy, so that's somefing.

D: DO IT. Seriously, get that shit started up. I will totally be your first official participant :3

Darragh said...

hm. maybe this needs a longer email or something. so at the end of nanowrimo, you've got a novel cooking in utero. what would you have after a month of drawing, besides a bunch of [pretty] pictures? Maybe there should be a different goal, like get your FanArt 10O done in a month, or have a week of sketchcrawlins, but it isnt like you'd be on your way to a contract after that.

plus, the rules of FanArt 100 can be stupid. If you register on LJ with them, only one person can use that character/pairing. There are probably ways around it and it probably serves its purpose, but. this nadrawmo is having a vocational crisis.

Nikki said...

Well, the way I see it, once you've done NaNo you could potentially have the raw guts of a maybe-one-day-marketable product. But you may also just have 50,000+ random words on your computer and then go "well that was fun" and never look at it again.

And I don't see why that's a problem, really. People write and draw and make Star Wars sets out of legos and elaborate sand-paintings depicting the whole of their cultural and religious history only to see it all swept away. There's definitely a strong element of "why the hell NOT?" in NaNo.

Another thing, though, maybe in that huge pile of wonky drawrings you end up with at the end of NaDraw is a brilliant comic idea, or a hidden theme for a body of illustrations, or any one of a million inspirations and jewels in their own right.
[ / rant ]
Also: eff FanArt 100. NaDraw should accept all styles.