January 10, 2009

Mooooon!

Up until tonight, I don't think I've ever realized just how amazing a full moon is.

I've just now gotten back from spending the day up in Yokkaichi with the Stitch'n'Bitch folk. Many a night I have made the walk back from my local, unmanned train station, through the rice fields, down the Ise Road a bit to my apartment building. But never once have I actually been able to see anything without the aid of my cell phone's glow.

Tonight as I was walking down the narrow road through the rice fields, it was like I had my own personal street lamp dangling mere feet about my head, except it somehow lit up the WHOLE WORLD. There was a thin, fluffy scattering of clouds overhead shaped much like an Imperial Star Destroyer, but that hardly muted the shine at all. I could see across the width of the fields to the tree-line. I could make out in stark, steely relief the tire-tracks from farmers' trucks in the fields themselves. When I got to the other side of the small road, I could see ALL THE WAY BACK. All the buildings around me, even some of the distant mountain sides, I could clearly make out.

It was a lot like this, except there was no perturbed woman or jubilant crowd there, just me and the wind and a night-bird or two.

2 comments:

Fragile Porpoise said...

That sounds so lovely and the illustration was highly amusing.

Anonymous said...

In January the moon was the closest it will be to the earth for 2009