June 30, 2009

weekend in the woods

On Friday I caught a train down south to where the JETs in my prefecture gather for an annual "camping" trip. That's in quotes because we rent out fully-furnished, air-conditioned cabins complete with upstairs tatami rooms bigger than mine. Seriously, if I could trade my apartment for one of those babies, I'd do it in a second.

According to some of the second-year peeps, the rainy season was in full swing last year so it was damp and miserable for the whole time. Not so this year! Friday evening was rain-free and the sun was out aaaaall day Saturday, which made it perfect weather for jumping into a freezing mountain river and drying off on the ginormous rocks:

As my cabin was the nerd cabin, we proceeded to watch "The Fifth Element," get pleasantly drunk, and play a couple inebriated rounds of Munchkin, the tabletop-roleplaying card game where the object is to bribe, swindle, and back-stab your way to level 10. I kind of really want to get the Cthonic version of Munchkin. Maybe a Halloween present to myself? We'll see.

Anyway, most of the good pictures are on other peoples' cameras, so I am still waiting to receive them via the webbernets. The best pictures, of course, are all in my brainspace. It was a lovely super-fantastic weekend with awesome people and scenery that could take your breath away. I feel ready to take on the rest of summer in western Japan - it's going to be sticky, and insect-y, and moldy & gross and generally will do all it can to suck the will to live from me, but I will have the wisdom of Dori to keep me afloat.

5 comments:

Ruh-u meyyit said...

Greetings from Turkey.Have a nice day.

Nikki said...

Greetings right back to Turkey! Thanks for stopping by :D

Fragile Porpoise said...

Oh wow, that sounds like so much fun. That picture alone is enough to make me totally jealous.

Ack, America time soon! :'D

Nikki said...

Three weeks, droogster! :DDD

I am lookin' up them shows you was talkin' 'bout on The Book of Faces, will have a proposal prepared shortly. With PowerPoint and everything.

Fragile Porpoise said...

Ack! Ackackack!!
I cannot wait to see it. Please use wildly inappropriate pictures to demonstrate your ideas. Uh, but keep the nudity to a minimum. Think of the children.


Wait...what?