May 28, 2009

rhythm

It's a rainy grey day in Shima, the kind that makes you want to be inside. Except jim-jams and hot chocolate inside, not desk-computer-workplace inside :p Still, I just have my second-year culture kids today, and their teacher is overseeing a group translation of their latest reading. They do well with structured tasks, these guys (otherwise they can be a handful; all that unfocused energy and whathaveyou) and I'm glad their new sensei is an instructor who can handle that.

I'm starting to get the rhythm of this year's classes, I think. Not all my first-year communication lessons work, but the rate-of-epic-failure is dropping and the students are starting to voluntarily participate without so much teeth-pulling. As I recall, the previous co-teacher and I were still having to call out student numbers pretty much every day throughout fall term.

With the second-year class I can not-stress for a change, because they've a Japanese teacher who is actually willing and able to take charge of their education, take at least this portion of it in some direction. The third-years are pretty chill and the girls just want to know everything, and the boys are pretty well-behaved for teens but then again there are only three and my girls will actually out-volume them c: Two of them, I can tell, are really interested sometimes. They just can't let it show, or the one who took this class purely to get out of math distracts them. But it's by far the smoothest-running class, is third-year culture.

In August I get a new beat - the Ise-Shima/Minamiise JETs, particularly the newbies. A while back our current regional advisor dood called for a show of hands as to who'd like to replace him, and I guess it was just me and another guy. I was perfectly content to let other-guy take it, as I'd only really volunteered in the exceptional case that NOBODY else would, but apparently the people up in the Tsu office thought differently. And final decision's theirs, so, tag, I'm it.

2 comments:

Ku said...

I want to know what jim-jams are, plzplz. They sound vaguely British.

-,- I can hear the teacherlyness in your words, Nikki-sensei... you are destined to teach a great many gakusei the wonders of Eigo. Yeessss.

XD Seriously, though, it's really good to hear you're getting comfortable in the beat. I never really did get used to most of my schools 'cause I only saw 'em once every two weeks or so, plus there was the teeny tiny one where the student/sensei ratio was 1:1...

Also, SECOND YEAR FANTASTIC! GOODO CHOISU! :D I'm so happy for you. ^w^

Alsoalso, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the lovely magical presents and snackies and adorabibble letters that come from you, over the seas and the plains by way of the happy postman~! I especially adore my chopstick pouchie, because by studying it close-up, now I can make one! *squee*

本当に、大変どうもありがとうございます!I need to accumulate my thanks and locate a box to put it in. Until then, keep rocking out with your students and be your awesome self. 'v'b

Nikki said...

They IS vaguely British - I stole 'em from David Tennant as the 10th Doctor Who. You may also know them as jammies, pj's, or pajamaramas.

I 'unno, sometimes I wish I had liek a hojillion schools just so it wouldn't be so easy to slip into the delusion that I can make more than a passing difference in their Engrish edumacation. That trip never ends well :\

But anyway, yes, I am savin' monies and health-insured and all those goodly things I could not be were I to come crawling back to 'Merikuh so soonly. And all the obaachans out here are always so nice to me and give me foods :3

You are most welcomes! And oh dear, I do b'leev we've gotten ourselves into a never-ending okaeshi loop here, huh? XD SO BE IT >]